DEVELOPING NEW Skills, Habits, Perspectives (SHPs)
Meet the ‘adaptive challenge’, which is to know how to BE a different (expanded) type of person, leader, group, etc. This involves:
- “What got you here won’t get you there: Grasping the range of (SHPs) that a new reality needs
- Gaining insight into and developing ‘conscious competence’ with new SHPs;
- ‘Unlearning’ and giving up those old SHPs that are now unhelpful
‘Doing things differently’ (expanded range of SHPs) to the point where ‘unconscious competence’ begins to emerge.
What does not work:
- ‘Talking heads’ don’t create SHP change.
- ‘Intensive’, off site ‘courses’ can give ‘knowledge’ but not SHP change
- Developmental work separated from the worksite does not easily transfer back.
What does work:
- The basis for adult development is active and experiential learning
- Embedding into worksite which anchors change as it occurs.
Acquisition of new SHPs takes time. (New neuronal pathways take at least 30 days to grow but generally longer than this.)